This is Shanes Castle tractor with carriage and wagon in
front of the original Shanes Castle.Scammell Highwayman " The
Banshee " Built 1964. 150hp. Supplied new to Hamblins Supplies
Ltd, Leicester. It had several subsequent owners and was then purchased in
1986 by the present owner and restored over the years. Used to move the Fairground
Organ and Showmans Living Van to site and to provide electrical power to operate
the organ. Owned by The Lord ONeill, Shanes Castle, Antrim. Southern
Showmans Living Wagon was Built 1950. Purchased from the Cadona family in
Glasgow in the early 1970s and restored over the years. Owned by The
Lord ONeill, Shanes Castle, Antrim.
Now as everyone knows before starting off one must have
a cup of tea and chocolate cake.
This caravan is owned by Patterson's Spade Mill and the
gentle man that was staying in it cooks in it as well as sleeping there.
The engines fires have been started to heat up the boilers and then
it will be full steam ahead.
Garrett Showmans Tractor " Samson "
Built 1919. Reg. No. TC 64. This engine
was fully restored including a new boiler and firebox with all gears and motion
work being overhauled. This work was carried out by its current owner Paddy
Denby, Co Wexford.
McLaren Compound Road Locomotive " Jim
" Works No 701. Imported from Australia. Owned by David Glynn of Carlow.
Marshall Single Cylinder Traction Engine " Uncle
George " Built 1912. 7nhp. This engine spent all its working life
in Sussex, Kent in the ownership of Hobdens and Sons Threshing Contractors.
An extensive restoration programme has just been completed with the engine
being completed at the beginning of April 2016. Owned by Ben Tomkins, Co.
Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies Single Cylinder Traction Engine "
Lily " Built 1897.7 nhp Works No 11412.Owned
by Stuart Glynn Co Carlow
Burrell Single 5hp Single Crank Compound Traction Engine "
Christina " Built 1904. IY36. Owned by the Glynn Brothers, Co
Fowler R3 Showmans Road Locomotive " Headway
" Built 1920. 8nhp. 3 Speed. Works No. 15117. Weight 18 tons.
Owned since 1996 by Paddy McKendry & Son Kilrea
Here the men are stopping for a bit of craic after all the hard work
they have done.
McLaren Compound Road Locomotive " The
Emerald " Built
1911. 8nhp. This engine was exported new to Tasmania and spent its working
life there until 2003 when it was brought back to the UK and extensively restored.
It has been extensively refurbished.
Owned by Eamon & Mary McAleenan, Co Louth.
Burrell Compound Tractor " Lorna Doone
" Built 1927. Reg. No. YB 9360. Works No 4062. This engine spent its
working life with WJ King Somerset. Purchased by the late Tom Bermingham in1996.
Now in the care of the Bermingham family, Rathcoole, Dublin.
7.Aveling & Porter Traction Engine " Lady
Ann " Built in 1908 Works No. 6573. Reg. No. CA 6333
Owned by Billy Carter.
Wallis & Stevens Advance Roller. Built 1928. Works No 7991. Weight
10 Tons. Supplied new to George Wimpey and Co. Hammersmith,London in 1929.
Purchased by the present owner in 1992 and extensively restored over a three
year period. Owned by Gilbert Armour, Carnearny Road, Ladyhill, Antrim.
Here are a couple of Showman engines and a traction engine.
To the left we have a Argricultural engine called " Lady
next is another Argricultural engine called "
Scrumpy "the last one is unknown.
Glynn's of Carlow Burrell 1904 (IY-36) & McLaren Road Locomotive.
Fowler Single Cylinder Traction Engine " Tamneymore
" Built in 1923, Type A9 Owned by Joe Bradley & Family Kilrea.
Burrell Compound Traction Engine " Patricia
" Built 1917. 6nhp.
Owned by Ivan Glynn, Rathoe Co. Carlow.
Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies Traction Engine " The
Boss " - Built 1917 6nhp Works No
27258 Reg No IR-1253 Owned by the Glynn Bros Co Carlow
Owned by Joe Bradley & Family of Kilrea Co. Derry.
Joe here is using the fly wheel to operate a belt system
to work the rock breaker.